Efficiency UNITED consists of sixteen Michigan energy providers offering the following energy conservation and optimization services (in accordance with Michigan Public Act 295):
- Innovative energy efficiency programs
- Outstanding customer service (including two customer call center locations in Michigan)
- Robust educational tools (including online residential energy audits)
- Retail and contractor partnerships
In addition, SEMCO ENERGY Gas Company works in collaboration with Efficiency UNITED for the implementation of their respective energy optimization programs.
We are committed to educating our residential and commercial customers about energy efficiency and offering cost-effective solutions and rebates for reducing energy use.
Michigan Public Act 295 was passed into legislation in October 2008 to promote the development of clean energy, renewable energy and energy optimization through the implementation of standards that will cost-effectively:
- Diversify the current resources (petroleum, nuclear, natural gas and coal) used to meet the energy needs of Michigan consumers
- Provide greater energy security through the use of indigenous energy sources available in Michigan
- Encourage private investment in renewable energy (biomass, wind, solar, geothermal, kinetic, etc.) and energy efficiency
- Provide improved air quality and other benefits to consumers in Michigan
This legislation also sets a goal to reduce state government grid-based energy purchases by 25 percent by 2015, and includes net metering to provide credit to consumers for consumer-generated renewable energy.